Business Insider’s Andy Kiersz used data from Clarity Campaign Labs to produce a map of the United States, showing the most liberal and most conservative towns in each.
Clarity Campaign Labs designed a tool to help web users identify the community in each state that most closely matches their political views, according to Business Insider.
For Hawaii, Kahului, the main city on the island of Maui where the airport is located and the harbor is built, ranked the most liberal.
The most conservative town is Haleiwa on the North Shore of Oahu, where surfers from around the world come to catch 50 foot plus waves in the winter.
According to Business Insider, Clarity Campaign Labs used its national models and the Co-Op voter file from SmartVAN to make the tool, which analyzed users’ political views based on seven statements:
- I identify with the Democrats more so than the Republicans.
- Abortion should be legal and accessible to all women.
- I attend religious services regularly.
- Climate change is an immediate concern that must be addressed.
- There should be more restrictions on purchasing and carrying guns.
- The government should reduce the deficit primarily by raising taxes rather than cutting services.
- I prefer urban areas.
Note, the questions about urban areas and church attendance were not included in the score used to indicate whether a community was liberal or conservative, Business Insider said.