As a coach, one of the most common things I hear is, “I have no motivation.” So let’s talk about that. What happens when you have no motivation? For most people, it results in lack of activity and staying where you are. And the more you stay where you are, the more you convince yourself you are never going to be able to do or accomplish anything. So you don’t do anything and your lack of motivation becomes your truth.
One of the easiest things to do is to ask yourself, “What is ONE step I can take to get moving? One simple step. It doesn’t have to be anything major. Just get into action. Action leads to movement, movement leads to momentum, and momentum will carry you to your goal. So get into action. Here are some simple suggestions:
- Make a phone call. If you’ve been putting off doing something or calling someone, do it now.
- Get more information. Oftentimes we stay stuck because we don’t have enough information to make a decision. So get the information you need and move forward.
- Make a decision. As Yoda would say, “Do or do not!” Just make a decision and go with it, you can always make course corrections as you go along.
- Just do it already. Been thinking about starting something but you’re waiting for just the right time? Just pick a day, a time, and start. Waiting for “the right time” is simply an excuse to stay stuck. Either you want to do it or you don’t. Once you make the decision to do it, the “how” will start showing up.
- Sign up for the course. Always wanted to learn a new skill? Then quit putting it off and get yourself enrolled. Or ask someone to teach you. Or google it on the internet.
- Ask for help. Don’t know how to fix that leaky faucet? Call someone who does. Need advice? Call someone who might know the answer or who can refer you to someone who does. Need a push? Get a coach or accountability partner.
- Meet someone for coffee. There’s something magical about meeting someone for coffee that always gets new ideas and energy flowing.
So if lack of motivation is stopping you, then it’s time to get into action. Just do ONE thing right now. What’s it going to be?
Cheering for you!
Welcome to the Life Cafe! I’m a Hawaii-based Success Coach, Trainer, and Motivational Speaker. I created this column as a place for people to gather, enjoy a cup of virtual coffee or miso soup and get information and motivation to up-level their lives. If you have questions or topics you’d like to see me address, let me know. You can also find me serving information and inspiration on FaceBook at “The Life Cafe.” Cheers!
©2016 Kathy Davenport Image Design. All rights reserved.