HONOLULU – The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR), is holding statewide public hearings this month on proposed amendments and additions to its Hawai‘i Administrative Rules for the Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation.
These rule amendments to Title 13, Subtitle 11, Ocean Recreation and Coastal Areas, parts 1 and 3, are being proposed to allow DLNR to more effectively manage state small boat harbors and related facilities as well as ocean activities in state waters.
The meetings will be held as follows:
- O‘ahu – 6 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, February 22 in the Benjamin Parker Elementary School Cafeteria, 45-259 Waikalua Road, Kane‘ohe.
- Maui – 5 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, February 23 in the Maui Waena Intermediate School Cafeteria, 795 Onehe‘e Avenue, Kahului.
- Kona — 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, February 24 in the clubhouse of the Hawaii Big Game Fishing Club, on the grounds of Honokohau Small Boat Harbor, 74-381 P4 Kealakehe Parkway, Kailua-Kona.
- Kaua‘i — 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, February 24 in the Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School Cafeteria, 4431 Nuhou Street, Lihu‘e.
- Hilo — 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Friday, February 25 in the ‘Aupuni Center Conference Room, 101 Pauahi Street, Hilo.
All interested parties are invited to attend and to present their views on the proposed amendments, either orally or in writing. Written statements may be submitted at the public hearings or to the Chairperson at 1151 Punchbowl Street, Room 130, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, up to one week following the last public hearing date.
The following sections are being amended:
Relating to Personal Partners — 13-230-21(adds Personal Partner definition); 13-231-5(adds grace period provision for mooring permit renewals); 12-231-26 (adds Personal Partner definition); 13-231-28 (increases length of stay, includes Personal Partner); 13-231-29 (adds Personal Partner); 13-233-29 (adds Personal Partner and new parking permit category);
Incorporating water sledding activity — 13-256-18
Pertaining to vessel operations in Hanalei Bay and River — 13-256-33, 13-256-36,13-256-39
The following sections are being added to implement the Kaneohe Bay Master Plan according to HRS §200-39: 13-256-71, 13-256-72,13-256-72.1, 13-256-73,13-256-73.1, 13-256-73.2, 13-256-73.3, 13-256-73.4, 13-256-73.5, 13-256-73.6, 13-256-73.7, 13-256-73.8, 13-256-73.9, 13-256-73.10, 13-256-73.11, 13-256-73.12, 13-256-77.
The proposed rule amendments can be reviewed on-line on the Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation (DOBOR) web site located at http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/bordraftrules.htm or can be reviewed in person at the following DOBOR district offices from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday, except on holidays and State furlough days.
- Hawaii District Office 74-380 Kealakehe Parkway, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740 Telephone: (808) 327-3690
- Kauai District Office 4370 Kukui Grove Street, Suite 109, Lihue, Hawaii 96766 Telephone: (808) 245-8028
- Maui District Office 101 Maalaea Boat Harbor Road, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793 Telephone: (808) 243-5824
- Oahu District Office 4 Sand Island Access Road, #19, Honolulu, HI 96819 Phone: 832-3520
If unable to review the proposed rule change on-line or in person, a copy can be mailed at no charge upon receipt of verbal or written request to: the Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation, 333 Queen St., Suite 300, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, (808) 587-1972.
The meeting locations are disability accessible. If special needs are required, i.e., large print, taped materials, sign language interpreter, etc., call Clifford Inn on Oahu at (808) 587-1972 at least one week prior to the designated date and time of the public hearings.
Submitted by Deborah Ward, the DLNR Public information specialist