REPORT FROM DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND TOURISM – Shown below is a table containing Hawaii’s unemployment data for the week of April 12, 2012 including the initial claims filed as compared to the same week last year.
“Initial claims” initiate a determination of eligibility to begin a claimant’s benefit year (new claims) or subsequent period of unemployment (additional claims) within the benefit year.
Statewide initial unemployment claims decreased by 8.2%, with this week’s total filings of 1,981 and filings during the same week in 2011 of 2,157.
Comparing 2012 to 2011 for the counties:
· Oahu had 34 fewer claims filed
· Hawaii had 69 fewer claims filed
· Maui had 35 fewer claims filed
· Kauai had 21 fewer claims filed
· Agent had 17 fewer claim filed
In percentage changes, comparing the current week to the same week a year ago:
· Oahu had a 2.8% decrease
· Hawaii had a 15.6% decrease
· Maui had a 14.1% decrease
· Kauai had a 12.9% decrease
· Agent had a 22.7% decrease
More on the web: http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/economic/data_reports/unemployment