A quick look at this week’s unemployment data – initial claims filed is shown below.
Statewide initial unemployment claims increased by 7.9%, with this week’s total filings of 2,597 and filings during the same week in 2009 of 2,406.
Comparing 2010 to 2009 for the counties:
· Oahu had 158 more claims filed
· Hawaii Island had 59 more claims filed
· Maui, the only county with a decrease, had 11 fewer claims filed
· Kauai had 7 more claims filed
In percentage changes, comparing the current week to the same week a year ago:
· Oahu had a 13.0% increase
· Hawaii Island had a 13.0% increase
· Maui had a 2.3% decrease
· Kauai had a 4.0% increase
The weekly unemployment statistics update is now on our DBEDT Internet site at:
Jan Nakamoto is a Research Statistician with the Statistics and Data Support Branch, Research and Economic Analysis Division of the Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism; Email: email@example.com