Complete Clarity-The Special Education Advocate

    article top

    “Laura Brown Image”

    ”’Dear Advocate:”’


    My 7-year-old is having trouble learning to read and is starting to act out at school. He starts rubbing his eyes and gets tired when he looks at a book and also tells me that the “words fly off the page.” I had his eyes tested when he had his annual physical, but the doctor said he has 20/20 vision. How can I find out if something else is wrong with his eyes? — Unclear on Next Step

    ”’Dear Unclear:”’

    Your child may have a visual processing disorder. The next step would be a referral to a behavioral optometrist who can give him a comprehensive vision exam to determine if there is a need for vision therapy.

    Although this list may not be exhaustive, here is a list of optometrists in Hawaii who specialize in learning problems:

    *Dr. Kevin Baize (Laie & Honolulu) 293-9500
    *Dr. Susan Nakasone (Honolulu) 732-1004
    *Dr. Kensey Inouye (Honolulu) 944-0002
    *Dr. Clayton Gushiken (Honolulu) 941-3811
    *Dr. Jane Kimura (Maui) (808) 243-6203
    *Dr. Diane Santessen (Maui) (808) 875-4466

    ”Web sites with information on visually related learning problems include:”

    ”’The Special Education Advocate is a collaboration of parents, advocates, doctors and attorneys who answer the daily questions parents and providers have about the ever-changing rules and regulations of state agencies and suggestions on how to advocate for any special needs child. The goal of the Advocate is not to be adversarial, rather for better outcomes for children through parent education and assistance. We welcome all of your concerns as you join our online support group. Send questions to:”’