BY FRANCES NUAR – When was the last time you went on vacation? I hope even if you are one of the vacation deprived, you’ve been able to relax with family and friends this holiday season.
Our President is, to the tune of over $120,000 for every day he graces us with his presence here in Hawaii.
When’s the last time you or your family spent anywhere close to that for a vacation? I’m guessing never, especially considering that according to 2009 statistics, the median family income was only $49,777.
From the Hawaii Reporter, the estimated cost to taxpayers will at least include:
- Mrs. Obama’s early flight to Hawaii: $63,000 (White House Dossier)
- Obama’s round trip flight to Hawaii: $1 million (GAO estimates)
- Housing in beachfront homes for Secret Service and Seals in Kailua ($1,200 a day for 14 days): $16,800
- Costs for White House staff staying at Moana Hotel: $134,400 ($400 per day for 24 staff) – excluding meals and other room costs
- Police overtime: $250,000 (2009 costs reported by Honolulu Police Department)
- Ambulance: $10,000 (City Spokesperson)
- TOTAL COST: $1,474,200
That’s no small change for a simple holiday vacation. And not to mention the President doesn’t dine cheaply either. Evidently he is fond of Alan Wong’s, a renowned Honolulu restaurant. A quick call indicated that a 5-course meal with wine pairings is $105, the 7-course meal is $135. Because yes, Alan Wong’s is fine enough that they don’t list the prices. Ha, and you know what they say, if you have to ask how much it is, you can’t afford it.
So, while these numbers are mere approximations, ask yourself, if you were the only one in your family making money, would you go ahead and spend over $1.4 million enjoying yourself over the holiday while the rest of your family was struggling to make it through? I’m not asking Obama to camp on the beach, I’m asking him to pretend to feel our pain, not vacation opulently.