HONOLULU – The State of Hawai’i Office of Planning Coastal Zone Management (CZM) Program is inviting coastal and ocean users, as well as other stakeholders and interested individuals, to a series of listening sessions being held statewide as it begins the Hawai’i Ocean Resources Management Plan (ORMP) update.
Scheduled as follows, open house starts at 5:30 p.m. with formal presentation to start at 6:30 p.m., unless otherwise specified:
- April 25, Wilcox Elementary School Cafeteria, 4319 Hardy St., Lihu’e, Kaua’i
- May 2, Wai’anae District Park Multi-Purpose Room, 85-601 Farrington Hwy., Wai’anae, O’ahu
- May 16, West Hawai’i Civic Center, 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Hwy, Kailua-Kona, Hawai’i Island
- May 17, Hilo High School Cafeteria, 556 Waianuenue Ave., Hilo, Hawai’i Island
- May 22, Lana’i Senior Center, 309 Seventh St., Lana’i City, Lana’i (Open house begins at 6 p.m.)
- May 23, Pa’ia Community Center, Hana Hwy., Pa’ia, Maui
- May 30, Mitchell Pauole Community Center, 90 Ainoa St., Kaunakakai, Moloka’i
The ORMP takes a place-based approach to management of ocean resources in the islands, taking into account recognition of the ecological connections between land and sea, the link between human activities and impacts on the environment, and the need for improved collaboration and stewardship in natural resources governance.
In addition to coordination of overall implementation of the ORMP, the CZM Program is responsible for the review and periodic update of the plan. Last updated in 2006, the ORMP sets forth guiding principles and recommendations for use of coastal zone land and water resources, taking into consideration ecological, cultural, historic and esthetic values and the needs for compatible economic development.
The CZM Program is currently updating the 2006 ORMP by conducting an evaluation of the first five years of implementation, identifying areas of focus for the next five years, and determining how the ORMP should be refined or changed to incorporate new issues.
For more information on the ORMP, visit: https://hawaii.gov/dbedt/czm/ormp/ormp.php
Public input on the ORMP may also be submitted via e-mail to ORMP_Update@dbedt.hawaii.gov or by mail to the Office of Planning, Coastal Zone Management Program, P.O. Box 2359, Honolulu, HI 96804.
Individuals requesting accommodations for disabilities should call the CZM Program at (808) 587-2846, or submit requests in writing at least five days in advance to the above address or via fax at (808) 587-2824.