BY MICHAEL R. FOX PHD – Beyond the recent decision by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate the emissions of CO2, there are a number of state legislatures, including the State of Washington, preparing to do many of the same measures.
This includes the closing of a large coal fired plant which produces a great amount of electricity. An unelected group called the Western Climate Initiative, is heavily involved in state politics, and helping implement the damaging regulations of Cap and Trade type of energy policy.
I wrote the following letter to the Senate Energy, Water, and Environment Committee after they had decided not to hold a Committee hearing covering any adverse information that did not support cap and trade activities, of which there is plenty. The letter is significant in that it lists the types of thought processes needed in science to prove a hypothesis, as well as the need for actual physical evidence to support it. The letter follows:
I am expressing disappointment in your decision not to even have a hearing on the bill to consider withdraw from the Western Climate Initiative.
I am one of hundreds of scientists who have very serious doubts about the viability of the hypothesis that man-made CO2 causes global warming.
The findings of hardnosed science easily show that no measurable, observable, replicable, physical climate evidence has been put forth by the WCI, Department of Ecology, or any of the many other global warming advocates that prove their hypothesis above. No scientifically sound evidence, for more than 20 years.
Science requires some simple steps to prove a working hypothesis. The “warmers”, the EPA, and the legislature have failed to follow these steps. The steps are spelled out by climate expert Willie Eschenbach. (http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/01/15/unequivocal-equivocation/)
1. The warmers have to show that some aspect of the climate is historically anomalous or unusual. As far as I know the warmers have not shown anywhere that the current climate differs significantly from the historical climate record over the last 10,000 years. Please don’t show the discredited “hockeystick”.
2. The warming advocates have to show that whatever anomaly you choose; you must show it has been caused by human actions. Let us see the original data, physics, physical evidence, and computer algorithms with no hand waving, no bullying, no name-calling.
3. The warmers have to defend their work. If the warmers don’t stand and publicly defend their work, they won’t be believed. Thousands of other scientists are watching, considering, and evaluating.
4. The warmers must show their work. They have to archive the data. They have to reveal their computer algorithms. They have to expose everything which supports and sustains their claims to the brutal light of public inquiry. Warts and all. Honest scientists would welcome this.
5. Stop trying to sell the idea that the science is settled. It most certainly is not. And there is a good reason for this. In the founding papers for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) one finds that
“The role of the IPCC is to assess on a comprehensive, objective, open and transparent basis the scientific, technical and socio-economic information relevant to understanding the scientific basis of risk of human-induced climate change, its potential impacts and options for adaptation and mitigation. (quoted from http://climaterealists.com/index.php?id=1447). In other words only man-made causes of global warming, however trivial, are to be considered by the IPCC and related committees, and supportive organizations. Natural climate drivers such as the sun, the oceans, the clouds, cosmic radiation, and others were not to be emphasized for study.
Finally even some of the warmer agencies (NASA, NOAA, GISS, CRU, etc.) let their guard down on occasions and the truth leaks out. NASA recently said this
“The Sun is the primary forcing of Earth’s climate system. Sunlight warms our world. Sunlight drives atmospheric and oceanic circulation patterns. Sunlight powers the process of photosynthesis that plants need to grow. Sunlight causes convection which carries warmth and water vapor up into the sky where clouds form and bring rain. In short, the Sun drives almost every aspect of our world’s climate system and makes possible life as we know it.
“… According to scientists’ models of Earth’s orbit and orientation toward the Sun indicate that our world should be just beginning to enter a new period of cooling — perhaps the next ice age…
“Other important forcings of Earth’s climate system include such “variables” as clouds, airborne particulate matter, and surface brightness. Each of these varying features of Earth’s environment has the capacity to exceed the warming influence of greenhouse gases and cause our world to cool.” In other words the last 20 years of international global warming research has been severely limited and misguided, perhaps agenda driven.
There are no scientific reasons for shutting down man-made sources of CO2, let alone the 30 times larger fractions of natural CO2 in the atmosphere. The destruction of our economy and our nation is at stake. So please let’s have a wider, more open discussion of these energy issues. Please get us out of the destructive Western Climate Initiative.