Editor’s Note: Mordechai Orian, owner of Global Horizons Manpower Co., who is charged federally with human trafficking Thai workers to Hawaii and other states, issued a statement today after the U.S. Department of Justice dismissed similar charges against Mike and Alec Sou, two brothers who operate Aloun Farms on Oahu’s west side. Mr. Orian briefly was contracted by the Sous to bring workers to Hawaii in 2003. However, he and the Sou brothers had a legal dispute. Mr. Orian, who has been deemed by the FBI as running ‘the largest human trafficking case in history’ has maintained his innocence. He attended the Sou’s trial over the last two weeks in federal court. He issued this statement today about the federal government’s decision to dismiss charges against the Sou brothers. There is speculation in the legal community that the federal government’s botching of the Sou case may in fact impact Mr. Orian’s case as the same lead prosecutor had been heading up both cases until she fell ill during the trial. Currently, Mr. Orian is set to go to trial in February 2012.
“Now we know: the allegations could not have resulted in the indictments without Ms. French having decided to mislead the grand jury on at least one of the very big legal issues that formed the foundation for their “economic coercion” case: that paying and receiving recruiting fees at the time the alleged illegal activity took place was not – not – illegal, contrary to what she told the grand jury and which she admitted in open Court before Judge Mollway. It was not illegal at the time (before 2008) to take recruiting fees in the United States for H2-A workers and it was not (and still is not) illegal in Thailand to pay and collect recruiting fees. Indeed, labor law in Thailand specifically says that if a worker fails to complete their contract and returns home to Thailand, they must be able to recoup a proportional amount of the fees actually paid. The workers would have been out exactly nothing.”
“The government has done everything in its power to crush my will to resist the false charges, and they have not and will not ever succeed. What happened today is proof that the only way it could obtain convictions was through intimidation and bullying. And now, with the dismissal “in the interests of justice” of the Sou Brothers’ case, the government has given me a measure of vindication since, as I have noted previously, many of the same charges leveled against the Sou Brother which were also leveled at me. From my perspective, if the government was forced to drop all charges against the Sou Brothers with prejudice, they cannot help but also take a good long look at the indictment against me “in the interests of justice” as well. Failing that, however, and as I have stated publicly before, I look forward to my trial next February 7. This will give me and my lawyers, William Kopeny and Randy Shiner, the opportunity to show, in open court, just what a pack of lies, misstatements and prevarications the entire prosecution against me has been and is. Justice for me deserves and means nothing less.”