BY PANOS PREVEDOUROS PHD – This is an important article of national and local significance. Honolulu’s only daily, the Star Advertiser, would not publish it. They have not published anything I have submitted since 2009. Please show them that information cannot be suppressed. Forward and share it widely.
I added this postscript: Now as a responsible pro-rail politician, go ahead and deny all these as not applicable to Honolulu. But then:
- The project is about three years late.
- It has incurred tens of millions of dollars in penalties.
- There was a costly (over $150 Million mistake at the airport alignment) for which no one was punished or paid for it.
- The project violated state law and was stopped.
- Ansaldo is the most unreliable of all major rail manufacturers. But this was Honolulu’s choice.
- Ansaldo’s parent, Finmecannica is in financial trouble and for years it’s been trying to jettison Ansaldo. It will.
- HART is a clueless board. Imagine the same people as the board of Boeing or Hawaiian Air. Worse than useless.
- City erected a bunch of columns in the middle of (agricultural) land for which it has no ownership, deed or guarantee.
- The project budget is sored up with TheBus capital funds and city Sewer Fund guarantees. This will play out just fine…
- Do you recall the purchase of hundreds of tons of steel rails which are now properly rusting at Barbers Point Harbor?
- (I just recalled all these in 10 minutes. There is more. All these occurred with YOUR approval and consent.)
- As of mid-March 2013 the project is less than 3% constructed!
- Federal court appeal has been filled.
- Several eminent domain suits or class action suit are likely.