- Name: Dean Schmucker
- Current job: Civil Servant
- Residence: Lived on Maui since 1997
- Background: This is my first attempt at elective office. I learned how to work on a Board when I was on the Board of Directors for Akaku Public Television.
- Major issues:
- 1. Create a business friendly environment by reducing the tax and regulatory burden on Hawaii’s businesses
- 2. Audit the Department of Education. They should not be given carte blanche to waste our precious resources while producing an inferior product.
- 3. Do not recognize same sex marriage or civil unions in any way.
- Budget philosophy:
- 1. NEVER EVER raise taxes in a down economy. This will kill whatever recovery may otherwise be happening.
- 2. Cut out wasteful spending before even TALKING about an increase in GET.
- Taxes and fees:
- 1. No tax increase. No fee increase.
- 2. Tell the public worker unions to accept employer friendly work rules or face massive layoffs
- Rail: If the city has difficulty raising enough revenue for the rail, would you support state tax support for the rail project?
- 1. As a neighbor island candidate, I would NEVER support the use of state tax funds for an Oahu only project.
- Legalized Gambling: I am completely opposed to gambling in any form.
- Public Education: School boards should be appointed if state wide, elected if local. Get as much of the 13K we spend on students into the local schools! Charter schools are great.
- Economic Growth: What are your plans to promote long-term economic growth for Hawaii?
- 1. Diversifying economy by emphasizing exportable goods such as Aquaculture.
- Crime: What is your solution to making Oahu a safer place to live and visit?
- 1. Concealed weapon permits might help
- 2. Community policing.
- Second Amendment: Would you support concealed carry or more freedom for law abiding firearms owners, do you feel the current laws should remain in place, or do you believe stricter gun laws should be in place?
- Support concealed weapon laws
- Homeless: What is your solution to homelessness?
- 1. Community camps for families down on their luck
- 2. Mental health treatments
- 3. For the hard core homeless, those who simply do not WANT to conform to the mores of society, I would make their life as difficult as possible.
- Compact with Micronesia: Micronesians are able to freely move to Hawaii, which they are doing in large numbers to take advantage of the public education system, medical services and other government benefits. But the governor and other public officials say they are taxing Hawaii’s resources and costing the state more than $100 million a year. This is a federal decision, but would you share your view on whether the Compact with Micronesia should remain in place, should there be some parameters put on the Compact or do you have other solutions?
- No opinion. But if it’s a federal compact, they should provide Hawaii with resources.
- Akaka Bill: What is your position on the Akaka Bill? Do you believe it will unite or divide Hawaii? What is your vision for how the Akaka Bill will change Hawaii?
- I believe the Hawaiian people suffered an injustice. I don’t’ believe the Akaka bill is the answer to that injustice
- Jones Act: Opponents of the federal Jones Act say it increases the cost of living in Hawaii through a shipping duopoly while supporters say it is needed to ensure port security and American jobs. While this is a federal decision, would you share your view on whether you support an exemption for Hawaii from the Jones Act or should it remain in place?
- Hawaii should ABSOLUTELY be exempt!
- Endorsements you would like to list:
Phone: 808 264 3435
Mail: POB 184 Wailuku HI 96793
Web site address: www.dean4house.com