HONOLULU — Continuing to invest in capital improvement projects (CIP) that further strengthen Hawaii’s economy, Gov. Neil Abercrombie today announced the release of more than $14.3 million to advance harbor improvements to two Hawaii Island harbors and various highways across the state.
“These priority investments in state infrastructure add further stimulus and jobs to the economy in order to build upon our state’s $1.1 billion turnaround,” Gov. Neil Abercrombie said. “These CIPs will realize significant and in some cases long-awaited improvements, such as those in Hilo and Kawaihae Harbors on the Big Island. Others heighten safety, mitigate erosion, and address other needed structural enhancements along our state’s highways.”
Allotment of funds for the following projects, identified by members of the state Legislature, has been approved by the Governor:
$6,000,000 – Hilo Harbor, Pier 1 Shed Modifications, Phase II, Hawaii Island – Pier improvements and modifications, including construction of a new end wall, repaving and associated utility adjustments; 40 percent of the footprint will subsequently be used for container cargo operations, which require open yard space, while the remaining 60 percent of Pier 1 will continue to serve as covered shelter for storage, administrative and passenger operations
$80,500 (in addition to $241,500 of federal funds) – Kawaihae Commercial Harbor, Hawaii Island – Construction for enhanced physical security measures and critical infrastructure, including security fencing; this will delineate the secured area of Kawaihae Commercial Harbor and allow recreational users greater access to the small boat harbor
$3,055,000 (in addition to $10,200,000 in federal funds) – Farrington Highway Intersection Improvements at Nanakuli Avenue and Haleakala Avenue, Oahu – Additional design and construction for left-turn lanes in the Honolulu-bound direction at the intersections of Farrington Highway and Nanakuli Avenue as well as Farrington Highway and Haleakala Avenue; additional funds are needed due to additional design requirements resulting from environmental impact and historical preservation permitting activities
$2,200,000 – Interstate Route H-1, Pearl City Viaduct and Waimalu Viaduct Improvements, Phase I, Oahu – Additional construction to replace the deteriorated surface of the eastbound concrete deck of the Pearl City and Waimalu Viaducts; future phase(s) will include deck repair in the westbound direction (Additional funds are needed to fund major remediation work in two separate areas caused by a collapsed drainage culvert at the Waimalu Viaduct, and to install geosynthetic reinforced soil fill and concrete under the pavement in the vicinity of Radford High School to prevent erosion and reduce settlement)
$1,500,000 – Honoapiilani Highway, Shoreline Improvements for Tsunami Damage in Ukumehame, Maui – Additional construction to restore roadway shoulders along Honoapiilani Highway damaged by the March 11, 2011, tsunami including boulder revetments and the construction of retaining structures; additional funds are necessary to complete the project due to high level erosion control measures required by the EPA, Army Corps of Engineers, and the Hawaii Department of Health Clean Water Branch
$1,500,000 – Honoapiilani Highway, Shoreline Improvements, Maui – Additional construction to restore roadway and shoulders along Honoapiilani Highway in the vicinity of Launiupoko, which have been damaged by repeated high surf and wave action; additional funds are required for a retaining structure that was redesigned to meet water quality and Army Corps of Engineers concerns
$11,000 – Farrington Highway Drainage Improvements, Oahu – Land and design for drainage improvements along Farrington Highway in the vicinity of Olohio Street to reduce flooding fronting the makai side of the highway
$4,000 (in addition to $16,000 in federal funds) – Guardrail and Shoulder Improvements at Various Locations, Kauai – Design to construct guardrail and shoulder improvements on Kuhio Highway, Route 560, at Milepost 6.25 and at Route 56 near Milepost 3.70, as part of the DOT Highways Division Guardrail and Shoulder Improvement Program; both areas have steep drop-offs that would benefit from guardrails to keep vehicles from leaving the roadway and going down the steep slopes
[…] Governor Releases .3 Million for Big Island Harbors, State Highways Neil Abercrombie today announced the release of more than $ 14.3 million to advance harbor improvements to two Hawaii Island harbors and various highways across the state. “These priority investments in … they are like two peas in a pod… If one of … Read more on Hawaii Reporter […]
Comments are closed.