Lucy Adams, REALTOR (S) – Did you know the only congressionally chartered Botanical Gardens in the U.S. are on Kauai? Well, it’s true and they are called the “National Tropical Botanical Gardens!”
There are two:
- The 80-acre Allerton Garden
- The approximate 200-acre McBryde Garden
Both are located on Kauai’s beautiful south shore and are open for visitors to enjoy the beautiful tropical plants – many found only on Kauai. The entrance to both of these gardens is across from Spouting Horn in Poipu.
Kauai’s Spouting Horn
Tour Information and Details
Once you enter the NTBG gate, you will be taken by a tram to the garden’s entrances. These toursbegin daily at 9:00 a.m. and the gardens close at 4:00 p.m.
- The Allerton tour is a guided tour in which you see the garden in the tram and runs about 2.5 hours through the beautiful gardens.
- The McBryde tour is a self-guided, walking tour which covers approximately 25-acres of gardens.
“Allerton is a former private estate, with statuary, fountains, water fixtures mixed with tropical plants,” says Janet Leopold, director of communications at NTBG. “McBryde is our main conservation garden. It’s got a lot of endangered plants, some of them are extinct in the wild.”
You can make reservations for both gardens by calling 808-742-2623. If you are visiting Kauai, this is just one of the wonderful things you can do.
- Reservations for Allerton are required
- Reservations for McBryde are optional
Plus, if you live on Kauai there is an added bonus, as the gardens offer free tours on Sunday to its residents. Reservations and your Hawaii (Kauai) driver’s license are required.
ABOUT LUCY ADAMS, REALTOR (S)