HONOLULU, HAWAII – Starting Friday, November 11, 2011, at 10 a.m. HST, public information officers and media representatives from a number of local and federal law enforcement and public safety agencies, and military departments will begin staffing the Joint Information Center (JIC) supporting the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders’ Meeting.
The JIC will operate 24-hours per day through the end of the Meetings and will serve as the primary call-in center for media representatives requesting information on the overall security and public safety arrangements for the APEC Leaders’ Meeting, as well as a response center for all incoming media inquiries.
The JIC will be staffed by public information officers and media specialists from the U.S. Secret Service, Honolulu Police Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Office of the Mayor – City and County of Honolulu.
Representatives of these agencies have been working together since last year in preparation for the APEC Leaders’ Meeting, which has been designated as a National Special Security Event.
As designed, the JIC will facilitate responses from the appropriate public safety, law enforcement agency or military department to incoming inquiries from members of the media.
The following 21 agencies will have public information officers or media representatives available through the JIC:
- U.S. Secret Service
- Honolulu Police Department
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Naval Criminal Investigative Service
- U.S. Marine Corps Base – Hawaii
- U.S. Attorney’s Office – Honolulu
- U.S. Pacific Command
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Transportation Security Administration
- State of Hawaii Department of Defense
- U.S, Department of State – DSS
- Joint Task Force Homeland Defense
- Office of the Mayor – City and County of Honolulu
- Honolulu Department of Emergency Management
- Honolulu Fire Department
- Honolulu Emergency Services
- Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard
Submitted by the US Secret Service