BY ROBERT THOMAS – The oral argument calendar of the Hawaii Supreme Court looks pretty interesting:
- Thursday, February 21, 2013, 10:00 a.m. – Kanahele v. Maui County Council, No. SCWC-29649, a case involving the “Sunshine Law” and the council’s consideration of a development project on Maui. More here from Record on Appeal.
- Thursday, February 21, 2013, 11:00 a.m. – County of Hawaii v. UNIDEV, LLC, No. SCWC-10-0000188, a case about contracts between a private developer and the County to build affordable housing. It’s more about arbitration and appellate jurisdiction, but an interesting case nonetheless. More here from Record on Appeal.
- Thursday, March 14, 2013, 9:30 a.m. – State of Hawaii v. Woodhall, No. SCWC-11-0000097, in which the court is considering what proof a person who raised a medical-use-of-marijuana defense must bring forward in order to prove his case.
- Thursday, March 21, 2013, 9:00 a.m. – NST Holdings Corp. v. Budget Hawaiian Holidays, No. SCWC-28917, a case involving when a Notice of Appeal is timely filed. More herefrom Record on Appeal.
- Thursday, March 21, 2013, 10:00 a.m. – Blake v. County of Kauai Planning Comm’n, No. SCWC-11-0000342, in which the court is considering the question of administrative ripeness in land use cases. More here from Record on Appeal.
- Thursday, April 4, 2013, 9:00 a.m. – Diamond v. Dobbin, No SCWC-30573, a case about shoreline certifications, which we previewed here.