Editor’s note: This letter authored by Council member Gary Okino has stirred tremendous controversy within the Democratic Party of Hawaii because Okino, a Democrat, calls on his supporters, mainly Christians, to back “righteous” candidates and defeat “evil progressives.” He also asks supporters to vote for Congressmember Charles Djou, R-Hawaii in his challenge against Senate President Colleen Hanabusa for Djou’s U.S. House seat. See the full letter below.
BY GARY OKINO – Brothers and Sisters… There is much confusion about my last message, “Progressive Candidates That Must Be Defeated.” Let me it as clear as I can… to eliminate the confusion.
First important point…
The message below in blue was sent out by the “Progressive PAC,” made up of members of Progressive Democrats of Hawaii and Americans for Democratic Action Hawaii. To put it mildly, this is not a good group (“Progressive” is bad). They are working against everything that God has given us and expects from us. They have endorsed the candidates listed because what they intend to do at the Legislature will go against God’s values. Their list of endorsements, however, helps us because it identifies those candidates that we must work to defeat. We need to do everything we can to keep them from being elected.
Here is the message and the endorsements from this evil organization…
The Progressive PAC, made up of members of Progressive Democrats of Hawaii and Americans for Democratic Action Hawaii, recently released its list of endorsements for this election year. Of all the PAC’s endorsements, there are a handful of candidates that will receive financial assistance from the PAC.
After much examination of candidates’ position on civil unions, emergency contraception in the emergency room, job security, progressive taxation, renewable energy, education, we have targeted our support for the following candidates who are in key races.
- Neil Abercrombie for Governor
- Gary Hooser for Lt. Governor
- Michael Golojuch for 19th State Senate District (Oust Gabbard!)
- Representative Blake Oshiro in House District 33
- Linda Ichiyama for House District 31
- Jason Bradshaw for House District 43 (Oust K Pine!)
- Cynthia Rezentes for House District 44
The Progressive PAC, to fund its donations to candidates, will be holding a fundraiser on Saturday, August 21. at the Lutheran Church of Honolulu, 1730 Punahou St. from noon to 2:00pm and tickets are a suggested $60 donation. We need your help to support these candidates to ensure they win their primary races! (This fundraiser is to support the bad candidates… do not attend or contribute to this.)
Here also, is the list of candidates in other races who the PAC has endorsed:
- Senate District 8 – Larry Price endorsed with enthusiasm
- Senate District 9 – Les Ihara endorsed with enthusiasm
- Senate District 11 – Carol Fukunaga endorsed
- Senate District 13 – Suzanne Chun-Oakland endorsed with enthusiasm
- Senate District 19 – Michael Golojuch endorsed with enthusiasm
- Senate District 24 – Jill Tokuda endorsed
- House District 1 – Mark Nakashima endorsed
- House District 4 – Fay Hanohano endorsed
- House District 9 – Gil Keith-Agaran endorsed with enthusiasm
- House District 11 – Joe Bertram endorsed with enthusiasm
- House District 18 – Mark Hashem & T.J. Lane endorsed (dual endorsement)
- House District 20 – Dwight Synan endorsed with enthusiasm
- House District 23 – Tom Brower endorsed
- House District 27 – Lynn Vasquez endorsed
- House District 28 – Karl Rhoads endorsed with enthusiasm
- House District 36 – Roy Takumi endorsed with enthusiasm
- House District 38 – Marilyn Lee endorsed with enthusiasm
- House District 39 – Marcus Oshiro endorsed with enthusiasm
- House District 40 – Michael Doyle endorsed with enthusiasm
- House District 45 – Maile Shimabukuro endorsed
- House District 51 – Chris Lee endorsed with enthusiasm
AGAIN, LET ME EMPHASIZE… THIS IS THE BAD MESSAGE. THESE ARE THE CANDIDATES THAT WE MUST KEEP FROM GETTING ELECTED. THE FUNDRAISER REFERRED TO IS TO HELP THESE BAD CANDIDATES.
Second important point…
The message I sent out last night identifies, in red, the candidates we must help to defeat the candidates listed below. Here is that list again with only the races listed.
The endorsed candidates for what the “Dark Side” considers their key races are shown below and their opponents; our righteous candidates who are opposing them are in bold and italics.
- Neil Abercrombie for Governor (Mufi Hannemann, Duke Aiona)
- Gary Hooser for Lt. Governor (Norman Sakamoto, Bobby Bunda, Lynn Finnegan)
- Michael Golojuch for 19th State Senate District (Mike Gabbard)
- Representative Blake Oshiro in House District 33 (Gary Okino)
- Linda Ichiyama for House District 31 (Garner Shimizu)
- Jason Bradshaw for House District 43 (Kymberly Pine)
- Cynthia Rezentes for House District 44 (Karen Awana)
AGAIN, LET ME EMPHASIZE… VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATES IN BOLD!
The other endorsed candidates of the Dark Side are listed below; Again, our righteous candidates are listed in BOLD ITALICS IN parentheses.
Senate District 8 – Larry Price endorsed with enthusiasm (Sam Slom)
Senate District 9 – Les Ihara endorsed with enthusiasm (Lisa Shorba)
Senate District 11 – Carol Fukunaga endorsed (none, unfortunately)
Senate District 13 – Suzanne Chun-Oakland endorsed with enthusiasm (Judy Franklin)
Senate District 19 – Michael Golojuch endorsed with enthusiasm (Mike Gabbard)
Senate District 24 – Jill Tokuda endorsed (Tracy Nakano Bean)
House District 1 – Mark Nakashima endorsed (Eric D’Almeida)
House District 4 – Fay Hanohano endorsed (Marlene Hapai)
House District 9 – Gil Keith-Agaran endorsed with enthusiasm (Jeff Hoylman)
House District 11 – Joe Bertram endorsed with enthusiasm (George Fontaine)
House District 18 – Mark Hashem & T.J. Lane endorsed (dual endorsement) (Chris Baron)
House District 20 – Dwight Synan endorsed with enthusiasm (Julia Allen)
House District 23 – Tom Brower endorsed (Thomas White)
House District 27 – Lynn Vasquez endorsed (Corinne Ching)
House District 28 – Karl Rhoads endorsed with enthusiasm (David Chang)
House District 36 – Roy Takumi endorsed with enthusiasm (Reed Shiraki)
House District 38 – Marilyn Lee endorsed with enthusiasm (Shaun Kawakami)
House District 39 – Marcus Oshiro endorsed with enthusiasm (Sam Curtis)
House District 40 – Michael Doyle endorsed with enthusiasm (Marissa Capelouto)
House District 45 – Maile Shimabukuro endorsed (Bill Corless, Jadeen Meyer)
House District 51 – Chris Lee endorsed with enthusiasm (Maka Wolfgramm)
AGAIN, LET ME EMPHASIZE… VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATES IN BOLD AND ITALICS!
Third Important Point…
All of the candidates listed in red have professed to be pro-life and pro-family (for traditional marriage). Because they follow God’s values or morality, we should support them over the candidates listed in blue who will work against God’s morality or values.
When it comes to multiple candidates listed, there may be factors that make some more worthy of our votes than others. For example, Mufi Hannemann, although he professes to be pro-life also has stated that he respects the right of a woman to make her own decisions! And, his statements on civil unions has shown great misunderstanding about the issue and his position was described by one reporter as “squishy.” He is clearly not fully aligned with God’s values.
Charles Djou’s positions are similar in nature… not fully pro-life, nor fully pro-family.
So, here is how this is applied when it comes to voting. ALWAYS VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATE WHO BEST ALIGNS WITH GOD’S VALUES OR MORALITY.
So, if you take a Democratic ballot in the Primary Election, then your choice between Neil Abercrombie and Mufi Hannemann is clear… you vote for Mufi. His values are better. Then when it comes to the General Election, you must again compare the morality and values of the candidates on the slate and you vote for the candidate who best represents God’s values.
Take the case of Charles Djou. He is far short of ideal in terms of God’s values or morality… but his values are much better aligned to God’s than Colleen Hanabusa… so you must vote for Charles Djou. It is not a matter or whether you like him or not. That is irrelevant. We live our lives in service to God. We must follow God. Nothing else matters.
May the Good Lord give you the knowledge, understanding and wisdom to make the right choice…
Gary Okino is a Honolulu City Council member and a candidate for Hawaii State House